The LLCC Board of Trustees will meet Wednesday, July 26, at 5:15 p.m. in the R.H. Stephens Room of Menard Hall.
Campus and community members are invited to a closing reception with artist Kyle Kirkpatrick on Wednesday, July 26 from noon-1:30 p.m. at the James S. Murray Gallery. The gallery, located on the second floor of Menard Hall, is featuring “The Living Tributary,” a ceramic art exhibit by Kirkpatrick, until July 27. View the work, read the artist’s statement presented in the form of a riddle-like poem and try to solve the riddle!
Kirkpatrick studied ceramics under LLCC’s Michelle Coakes and received his Bachelor of Fine Arts from SIU Edwardsville. He continues to study and practice where he can, including some additional time at LLCC.
Nancy Sweet, director of culinary programs and operations, is the author of this week’s Epicuriosity 101 column in the State Journal-Register, “Tomatoes … eat fresh or can? How about both?”
Terri Bailey, VALIC financial adviser, will be on campus Wednesday, July 26 from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. in the VP conference room to answer questions about the 403(b) and 457(b) deferred compensation plan options available to LLCC employees from VALIC. Those interested can register online for a consultation time. Deferred compensation options are available to employees from VALIC and TIAA-CREF.
Maryjane Million, enrollment operations coordinator, LLCC Jacksonville and Beardstown, was interviewed by WLDS radio July 24 on the vocational, occupational and online programs offered during the fall semester.
Curt Robinson, truck driver training specialist, talked about working as a truck driver in a visit to a vacation bible school at Grace Baptist Church in Taylorville on July 14. The event featured truck drivers, firefighters, law enforcement and veterans.
Congratulations to Colleen Pittman, marketing and communications coordinator, and her husband, Daniel, on the birth of their son, Andrew “Drew” Henry Pittman, born Thursday, July 20 at 3:59 p.m., weighing 7.6 pounds and measuring 20 ¾ inches. He joins big sister Madeline, and all are doing well!
The 2018 tentative budget is now available in Colleague and will be available at the July LLCC Board of Trustees meeting. A balanced budget was presented as required by the board.
Some things to know about this year’s budget:
- FY18 budget includes board approved increases in salary and benefits. HR is sending notifications to staff regarding current approved salary increases.
- The State of Illinois approved a budget for FY 2018, which includes an appropriation to community colleges and provides community colleges with 90 percent of the funding level that was received for FY 2015.
- Approved Budget Maintenance and Planning Strategies with funding are included in the budget and available in Colleague.
- Approved FFE, Perkins and Tech Fee appropriations will be sent out or posted when available.
- Additional adjustments may be necessary between now and the adoption of the final budget at the September board meeting.
- Budget transfers will not be processed until the final budget is approved by the board and those adjustments are made in Colleague. However, if you do not have the necessary funds in your lines to process a payment or PO, a budget transfer must still be prepared and submitted to the Budget Office. Once the transfer is received and reviewed, we will override the account and will process the transfer once the final budget is online.
- While we should always be budget conscious and only purchase what is necessary for our departments to operate, effective immediately it will no longer be required to obtain cabinet member approval in advance of making a purchase of goods or services. Please make sure you are familiar with the Budget Expenditure Approval Limits that we are returning to.
- Should there be a delay in approving a FY 2019 budget or if there were to be any mid-year reductions from the state in the FY 2018 budget, it may be necessary to revisit cabinet member pre-approvals in the future.
It is important that departments review their budgets during the year as purchases are made so that they can ensure they are still operating within budget. Directions on running Colleague general ledger reports (ACBL, GLBR and GLBS) are located in the “Useful Information” section on the budget office portal page. Please familiarize yourself with these reports as they will help tremendously in budget management. If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to contact the Finance Department.
LLCC Human Resources is currently advertising for a compliance and prevention coordinator. Complete information on this position can be found on the HR Employment site.
Visit the farm stand today in the A. Lincoln Commons from 1:30-4:15 p.m. to purchase produce that has been organically grown on the LLCC campus. Please note the stand accepts cash only, and small bills are appreciated.
Youth from the Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Illinois will be working their last day at the stand as part of their summer entrepreneurial training program, “Teen Career Launch.” This part of the program has been made possible by a grant from North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture, Research and Education (NCR-SARE).