LLCC co-hosted the Springfield location of Spence Farm Foundation’s 2018 Bread Camp on Sunday, July 8. The event was planned and organized by Nancy Sweet, director of culinary programs and operations and Jolene Adams, coordinator, LLCC Culinary Institute. Sean Keeley, culinary specialist, cooked lunch for guests on Sunday at LLCC with produce from local community gardens. The event also included a farm tour in Pana and talks from industry experts and baking bread at Danenberger Family Vineyards.
Led by 2017 and 2018 James Beard Award Outstanding Baker nominee Greg Wade from Publican Quality Bread, students had an intensive two-day camp on baking, focusing on utilizing organic whole grains, the role of fermentation in baking, and bio-dynamic farm systems and their incredibly important role in the entire bread and grain supply chain.
Industry professional students learned from and networked with a variety of industry experts such as
- Erika Chan – executive pastry chef at the Publican, Chicago
- Jill Brockman-Cummings – miller, The Mill at Janie’s Farm, Ashkum
- Keith Seiz – The National Honey Board
- Liz Moran Stelk – executive director, Illinois Stewardship Alliance, Springfield
- Fred and Carolyn Gerberding – local beekeepers
- Jack Erisman – Erisman Farm, certified organic farm, Pana
- Woody Woodruff – conservation expert, including soil and crop rotation, Illinois Stewardship Alliance, Springfield